GARDEN GATE RESPITE (GGR) provides short-term crisis housing for individuals with known or suspected mental illness, who are at risk for homelessness, incarceration, victimization or psychiatric hospitalization. The center is a home-like setting, and consists of two houses (11 bed total capacity) in a residential area. We are open 24/7, year-round and there is no cost for services. Together with Stanislaus County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services (BHRS), its contractors, and other community organizations, we work to empower guests in moving toward recovery through case management and support services focused on addressing basic needs, developing resources and resiliency.
Eligibility requirements include:
- Resident of Stanislaus County
- 18 years or older
- Ambulatory & able to engage in basic self-care activities including dispensing their own meds
- Known/suspected mental illness
At least one of the following risk factors present:
- Homeless or at risk for homelessness
- At risk for arrest or incarceration
- At risk for victimization
- At risk for psychiatric hospitalization
The process for entry is as follows:
Prospective guests are referred to GGR through one of the following approved sources: local law enforcement, BHRS and BHRS contract service providers, or approved community centers and agencies.
The referring organization calls GGR (209) 341-0718 to request a bed based on availability and the individual’s eligibility for services.
Once it is determined that services are appropriate, the person is transported to GGR by the referring organization.
Intake paperwork is completed with staff.
GGR staff/service coordinators provide linkage to BHRS mental health screening (as appropriate), and collaborate daily with service providers to support progress toward the objectives of the individual’s stay.
Guests are supported and encouraged to connect with local community resources and are discharged once linkage is successful.
This program is funded by the Stanislaus County Department of Behavioral Health & Recovery Services, and through the voter approved Proposition 63, Mental Health Services Act (MHSA).
"This past year has been a long and very humbling experience. I am forever grateful to each and every staff member at Respite for helping me with everything they did, and ending a year of homelessness."Garden Gate Client
- Peer support, nightly activity groups (Dual Recovery Anonymous, arts & crafts, poetry night, bingo night)
- On-site Personal Service Coordinators (PSC) provide access to community resources after assessing individuals’ need
- Connection with Outreach and Engagement through BHRS and its contractors
Phone: (209) 341-0718
Fax: (209) 341-0716
Address: 609 & 609 5th Street, Modesto, CA 95351