FREE TO CHOOSE provides harm-reduction services in a wellness and recovery model for clients with both psychiatric disabilities and substance abuse. The program is ideal for clients who cannot or will not accept abstinence as the only goal, or as a requirement for getting help. Free to Choose allows substance abuse to be framed as a behavioral and safety hazard, rather than judged as a moral issue. The team engages clients with motivational interviewing, vignettes or client stories of hope.
Harm-reduction services reach out to people and their families often well before they have decided to change anything about their drug use, in an effort to motivate
the user to make healthy and life-promoting choices. This nonjudgmental approach reduces
risk for substance abusers as they develop the desire and the skills to help themselves.
Eligible clients must be a Yolo County resident with an an established mental health services through the Yolo County Department of Health and Human Services Agency. Client must have a treatment plan with the county that identifies substance use treatment goal.
This program is funded by the Yolo County Department of Mental Health Services, and through the voter approved Proposition 63, Mental Health Services Act (MHSA).
- Co-occuring disorder assessments
- Group and individual therapy
- Step-down peer-facilitated groups
- In the 2017-18 Fiscal Year, 48 individuals received services.
- 87.7% of individuals were more able to adhere to their treatment goals.
- 88.4% were more frequently to engage in healthy, meaningful life activities and relationships.
- 83.5% of all individuals were completely satisfied.
Phone: (530) 758-4078
Fax: (916) 287-4679
Address: 212 “I” Street, Davis, CA 95616